So I have finally decided to start blogging but I have to admit that knowing what to write for my first entry ever is a little daunting. Truthfully, I loving writing a Journal but having my mind laid out on the Internet is a little scary. Oh well, scary or not here I come.
So, something that has been on my mind a lot lately is the fact that Madeline, my 2-yr-old daughter, won’t sleep in her own room. Not only will she not sleep in her own room she wants and is sleeping in mine. I don't even know the exact date of when this tradition began but I do know that she needs to start sleeping in her own bed again. I have actually known this for sometime but my problem lies in the fact that I don't really understand why she wants to sleep in my bed. I just feel like if I could put my finger on why she has this fear of her bed or room then I could solve the problem. Children commonly suffer from nightmares, being afraid of the dark, or ever just plain old separation anxiety. How am I to know which of these is the problem? I remember, even to this day, being afraid of the dark and having terrible nightmares as a child. I recall frequently heading into my own parents room when I felt to afraid to brave the night in my own bed. When this occurred my mother would give me a gentle hug and tell me everything was alright and then pull out a tattered mat for me to sleep on, on the floor. With Madeline I feel like I have to proceed differently. Last year her father and I went through a nasty divorce, which was hard and painful for all parties involve. After separating, Maddie began sleeping over at her dad's house once a week. Almost right away I began to see a change in her. She had severe separation anxiety. Although this was a serious problem during the day, she always went right to bed, most the time without a tear. It wasn't until the end of last year that after one such visit to her dad's house she began to protest sleeping in her own bed. I tried everything from sitting in her room until she fell asleep, to putting a bed on the floor in her room for myself. I even tried replacing her crib with a bed, because I thought maybe she was starting to feel trapped. I tried music, singing, reading, a night light but nothing seemed to work. Then after about of month of always forcing her to stay in her room she got really sick and I let her sleep with me and since then, this has been the case.
Now here is the question, Why does she not want to sleep in her room? When I put her in her bed or even walk near it now. She starts to cry and say, "I want to sleep in mommy’s bed." But she won’t tell me why. I know that she is only 2 but she is actually very verbal and talks very well. So her not telling me is very weird. Now some people have told me that I should just let her cry it out and that she will eventually fall asleep, and for most kids I would think that this would work but when Maddie gets really worked up she throws up and then I have two problems on my hands. Sooooooo not worth it! The next problem is that now she won’t even sleep in her own bed over at her dad's house. She wants to sleep with him. I am starting to think that maybe it is her way of creating some consistency for herself with all the back and forth she has to do. Or maybe I am over thinking it. Either way, once again I have a precious child up in my bed. This means another night of not very much sleep for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment